The National Information Exchange Model (NIEM) is an interagency initiative that provides the foundation and building blocks for national-level interoperable information sharing and data exchange.
This package contains the NIEM 3.1 reference schemas (Core, code lists, domains, type adapters for external standards, as well as the schemas, schema profiles, or adaptations for those standards). It also contains a spreadsheet of the model, a spreadsheet for all code lists, a change log, and an XML catalog. NIEM provides practitioners and developers with a baseline set of reusable XML Schema components for building Information Exchange Package Documentation (IEPDs).
NIEM 3.1 contains content changes over the last NIEM release; no architectural changes have been made. This version conforms to NIEM Naming and Design Rules (NDR) v3.0.
NIEM 3.1 -
The release package includes all NIEM schemas for this release as well as the changelog and spreadsheet.
- Index - Index of files; the file you are viewing now.
- Schema list - A complete list of schemas included in this distribution.
- Component spreadsheet - A hyperlinked, textually oriented model and dictionary of the NIEM content.
- Code spreadsheet - A hyperlinked dictionary of codes in NIEM.
- Change log spreadsheet - A log identifying components that changed from 3.0 to 3.1. Also identifies what values changed.
- Alternate data formats -
Alternatives to the XSD format; contains content and metadata for all 3.1 data components in three formats: CSV, MS Access, and MS Excel.
NIEM Core Schemas
NIEM Domain Schemas
- biom: Biometric Schema Version 1.0
- cbrn: Chemical, Biological, Radiological, and Nuclear Domain
- cyfs: Children, Youth, and Family Services
- emergencyManagement: Emergency Management
- hs: Human Services
- immigration: Immigration
- infrastructureProtection: Infrastructure Protection
- intelligence: Intelligence
- internationalTrade: International Trade
- jxdm: Justice
- maritime: Maritime
- mo: MilOps 3.1 - Distribution A
- screening: The People Screening domain provides harmonized information sharing content within the Screening Portfolio of DHS. The Screening namespace is initially being populated with person screening information for immigrant and non-immigrant person types who have been encountered and identified by the Screening Portfolio Components. Screening expands on encounter-related NIEM elements currently included in the Immigration and Intelligence domains.
NIEM Conformant Schemas (code lists and adaptations of external standards)
- ansi_d20: Motor vehicle administration codes from ANSI D20, the Data Dictionary for Traffic Record Systems, maintained by AAMVA, the American Association of Motor Vehicle Administrators. Publication: ANSI-D20 Data Dictionary Release 5.0.0; Version: May 2009; http://www.aamva.org/ANSI-D20-Standard-for-Traffic-Records-Systems
- apco_event: Association of Public-Safety Communications Officials (APCO) - International, Inc.Publication: APCO ANS 2.103.1-2012 Public Safety Communications Common Incident Types for Data Exchange; Version: 2012; http://www.apco911.org
- atf: Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, and FirearmsDate: 2008
- cbrncl: Radiological and Nuclear Code ListPublication: CBRN domain; Version: 3.0; Date: Oct 2013; http://release.niem.gov/niem/3.0/
- census_commodity: Census and Dept of Transportation.Publication: CFS-1200 - SCTG COMMODITY CODES; Date: 11-15-2011
- census_uscounty: County codes from US Census and ANSI. Publication: INCITS 31:2009; Version: 2009; http://www.census.gov/geo/www/ansi/download.html
- census_uscounty: County codes from US Census and ANSI. Publication: INCITS 31:2009; Version: 2009; Updated March 2015. http://www.census.gov/geo/www/ansi/download.html
- core_misc: Non-authoritative codes for the direction of a person's pose in an image.Source: NIEM 3.0; Publication: NIEM 3.0; Version: 3.0; Date: Oct 2013; http://release.niem.gov/niem/3.0/
- dea: Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA).Publication: Controlled Substances - by DEA Drug Code Number; Date: 6 Sep 2012; http://www.deadiversion.usdoj.gov/schedules/orangebook/d_cs_drugcode.pdf
- dea: Drug Enforcement Administration (DEA).Publication: Controlled Substances - by DEA Drug Code Number; Date: 2 Feb 2015; http://www.deadiversion.usdoj.gov/schedules/orangebook/d_cs_drugcode.pdf
- dod_jcs-pub2.0: Intelligence discipline codes.Source: DoD Joint Staff; Publication: Joint Publication 2.0 - Joint Intelligence; Date: 2 Oct 2013; http://www.dtic.mil/doctrine/new_pubs/jp2_0.pdf
- dod_jcs-pub2.0: Intelligence discipline codes.Source: DoD Joint Staff; Publication: Joint Publication 2.0 - Joint Intelligence; Date: 22 Jun 2007; http://www.dtic.mil/doctrine/new_pubs/jp2_0.pdf
- dol_soc: US Department of Labor occupation codes.Publication: Standard Occupational Classification (SOC); Version: 2010; http://www.bls.gov/SOC/
- dot_hazmat: Source: US Department of Transportation (DoT)Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Safetey Administration (PHMSA); Publication: Title 49 CFR 172.101 Table (List of Hazardous Materials); Date: 18 Jan 2012; Source Updats: 18 Jan 2012; http://www.phmsa.dot.gov/portal/site/PHMSA/menuitem.ebdc7a8a7e39f2e55cf2031050248a0c/?vgnextoid=d84ddf479bd7d110VgnVCM1000009ed07898RCRD&vgnextchannel=4f347fd9b896b110VgnVCM1000009ed07898RCRD&vgnextfmt=print
- dot_hazmat: Source: US Department of Transportation (DoT)Pipeline and Hazardous Materials Safetey Administration (PHMSA); Publication: Title 49 CFR 172.101 Table (List of Hazardous Materials); Date04 Feb 2014;
- edxl_rm: Source: EDXL Resource Messaging (RM) Standards Working Group (SWG); Publication: Emergency Data Exchange Language Resource Messaging (EDXL-RM) specification; Version: 1.0; Date: 22 Dec 2009; http://docs.oasis-open.org/emerge
- edxl-cap: Common Alerting Protocol
- edxl-de: Distribution Element
- edxl-have: EDXL-HAVE specifies an XML document format that allows the communication of the status of a hospital, its services, and its resources. These include bed capacity and availability, emergency department status, available service coverage, and the status of a hospital's facility and operations.
- fbi_ncic: FBI code lists for the National Crime and Information Center (NCIC-2000).Source: FBI Crminal Justice Information Systems (CJIS) Division; Publication: leo.gov database; https://www.leo.gov
- fbi_ndex: Source: FBI Crminal Justice Information Systems (CJIS) Division; Publication: National Data Exchange (N-Dex) Specification (a NIEM IEPD); Version: 2.2; Date: 2013; http://www.it.ojp.gov/framesets/iepd-clearinghouse-noClose.htm
- fbi_ucr: Crime reporting codes from Uniform Crime Reporting.Source: FBI Crminal Justice Information Systems (CJIS) Division; Publication: CJIS Div UCR Program - NIBRS Technical Specification; Version: 1.0; Date: 16 April 2012; http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/ucr/nibrs_technical_specification_version_1.0_final_04-16-2012.pdf
- fips_10-4: Countries, dependencies, areas of special sovereignty, and their principal administrative divisions.Source: National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency (NGA); Publication: Geopolitical Entities and Codes (formerly FIPS 10-4); Date: Apr 2010; Source Updates: 14+; http://earth-info.nga.mil/gns/html/GEOPOLITICAL_CODES.pdf
- fips_5-2: Source: National Institute for Standards and Technology (NIST); Publication: Codes for the Identification of the States, the District of Columbia, and the Outlying Areas of the U.S., and Associated Areas; Date: 28 May 1987; Source Updates: 1 Jan 1988; http://www.itl.nist.gov/fipspubs/fip5-2.htm
- fips_6-4: Source: National Institute for Standards and Technology (NIST); Publication: Counties and Equivalent Entities of the U.S., its Possesions, and Associated Areas; Date: 31 Aug 1990; Source Updates: 7 (7 Jul 2001); http://www.itl.nist.gov/fipspubs/fip6-4.htm
- have-codes: Source: OASIS Emergency Data Exchange Language (EDXL); Publication: Emergency Data Exchange Language (EDXL) Hospital AVailability Exchange (HAVE) Version 1.0; Version: 1.0; Date: 22 Dec 2009; http://docs.oasis-open.org/emergency/edxl-have/v1.0/errata/edxl-have-v1.0-os-errata-os.html
- hl7: Source: Health (HL-7); Publication: Religion-HL7 Table 0006_VD; Date: 19 Jul 2004; http://ushik.ahrq.gov/dr.ui.drConceptualDomain_View?System=mdr&ConceptualDomainID=74288000&ViewDownFile=yes&DownFile=Co
- iso_3166-1: Source: International Standards Organization (ISO); Publication: Codes for the representation of names of countries -- Part 1: Country codes; Date: 2 Aug 2012; Source Updates: VI-13; http://www.iso.org/iso/country_codes.htm
- iso_4217: Source: International Standards Organization (ISO); Publication: Codes for the representation of currencies and funds; Version: ISO 4217:2008; Date: 30 Jun 2008; http://www.iso.org/iso/en/prods-services/popstds/currencycodeslist.html
- iso_639-3: Source: International Standards Organization (ISO); Publication: Codes for the representation of names of languages -- Part 3: Alpha-3 code for comprehensive coverage of languages; Version: ISO 639-3:2007; Date: 2007; Source Updates: 5 Feb 2007; http://www.sil.org/iso639-3/
- it_codes: IT Codes
- jc3iedm: Codes from JC3IEDM
- jp3-52: JP3-52 Joint Airspace Control Codes
- mmucc: Source: Model Minimum Uniform Crash Criteria (MMUCC); Publication: MMUCC Guideline - Model Minimum Uniform Crash Criteria - 3rd Edition; Version: 3.0; Date: 2012; Source Updates: 31 Oct 2006;
- nga_datum: Source: National Geospatial-Intelligence Agency; Publication: Temporal Spatial Positioning Information (TSPI) ; Version: 2.0; Date: 1 Mar 2012; http://metadata.ces.mil/dse/ns/GSIP/tspi/2.0.0/tspi-core.xsd
- nga_genc: The Geopolitical Entities, Names, and Codes (GENC) Standard, the US Government implementation of ISO 3166.Source: NGA; Publication: GENC Standard; Version: Ed 1.0; Date: 27 Nov 2012; https://nsgreg.nga.mil/genc/discovery
- nlets: Source: The International Justice & Public Safety Information Sharing Network; Publication: NLETS User and Technical Guide; Date: 2006; http://www.nlets.org/
- occs_facility: OmniClass; Publication: OCCS Table 11; Date: 30 Oct 2012; http://www.omniclass.org/tables.asp
- post-canada: Province codes for Canada.Publication: Canada Post Addressing Guidelines; Date: 14 Jan 2013; http://www.canadapost.ca/tools/pg/manual/PGaddress-e.asp#1380608
- sar: Source: PM Information Sharing Environment (ISE); Publication: SE-FS-200-version-1.5 Suspicious Activity Reporting (SAR); Version: 1.5; Date: 25 Aug 2009; http://niem.gtri.gatech.edu/niemtools/iepdt/display/container.iepd?ref=ntsXeIX7M6Q%3D
- unece_rec20-misc: Miscellaneous unit of measure codes.Source: UN Economic Commission for Europe (UNECE); Publication: UNECE Recommendation No. 20 Revision 8; Version: Revision 8; Date: 2012; http://www.unece.org/tradewelcome/areas-of-work/un-centre-for-trade-facilitation-and-e-business-uncefact/outputs/cefactrecommendationsrec-index/list-of-trade-facilitation-recommendations-n-16-to-20.html
- usps_states: Source: U.S. Postal Service (USPS); Publication: Official USPS Abbreviations, Appendix B; Date: 2012; http://pe.usps.com/text/pub28/28apb.htm
- usps_states: U.S. Postal Service Supplement
- xCard: vCard XML representation, IETF RFC 6351
NIEM Proxy Schemas
- xs: Proxy types that carry dictionary metadata and have XML data type simple contents.
Special NIEM Schemas
- appinfo: Elements for use within xsd:appinfo to indicate information supporting the data model underlying NIEM.
- structures: Schema constructs for use by NIEM-conformant schemas to provide consistent definitions and functionality.